Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 3: Nutrition And Chemotherapy

Hey guys,

I woke up this morning and, while my fatigue has remained constant, I would say that my nausea has jumped from a 2 to a 3.5 or 4; I'm starting to lose my taste. I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary today at the chemo ward, just etoposide and magnesium for 1 hour, then cisplatin for 1 hour, and finally more magnesium for 1 hour. Count in bag changes and other minor time delays (pills, vitals, waiting room) and it should be about 4-5 hours. Anyways, since I'm not expecting anything worth noting, I'll make today's post on food during chemo as well as some tips on how to deal with losing taste.


* Notice how my breathing's a little heavier
* It's a little harder to keep a steady train of thought.


*Disclaimer* the do's and don'ts below are not intended to be medical advice and should not be interpreted as such. Talk to your doctor before proceeding with any nutrition regimen, etc. I'm just sharing practices that worked for me in a list format.

The Do's and Don'ts I followed during chemo cycle:
DO eat a balanced diet.

DO get in calories & protein. This and activity are the keys to avoiding fatigue.

DO prioritize preventing weight loss.

DO ask your nurse any questions you may have! Most hospitals have a chemo advice nurse hotline you can call 24/7!

DO look on the bright side and cling to the foods you can eat that still taste good (rather than moan over what you temporarily can't eat). For me, a positive attitude has gone a long way in getting through chemo. For example, I love sushi and haven't had it in seven weeks. It doesn't bug me though; I understand that this is temporary.

DON'T eat any sushi, rare meats, or any raw vegetables that haven't been thoroughly washed. You don't have much of an immune system, remember?

DON'T try too many new foods. If your system has never tried to handle it before, it's probably not the best time to test the waters.

DON'T eat anything that will give you gas or heartburn. Avoid spicy foods and beans. If I understand correctly, spicy foods can cause ulcers in your GI Tract (chemo attacks all quickly replicating cells including the mucous-y ones in that line your stomach)

DON'T sleep less than 30 minutes after eating. Think of all the common sense tips your mom gave you when you were 5. Essentially, all of them are making my life infinitely easier right now.

DON'T get cocky and think you can handle things you can't. Act conservatively. I was talking to one of my nurses today and I do really value her words when she says, "Remember that you have a new normal now, and even after chemo you have to 'earn' your previous body back." Chemotherapy will cause your body to change in make-up; your nutrition & exercise will help determine just how much!

Activity log for today:
5 PM-7:30 PM: Head over to a friend's house to play video games.
7:30-8:30 PM: Head outside to a park to get some fresh air and play a little basketball.
9:30-10:30 PM: Play poker with family.

As you can see, none of my activities today required too much exertion, however they helped brighten my mood and made my day much easier. Keep Purell with you at all times to keep your hands sanitized.

"You don't beat cancer. Chemo beats cancer. You survive chemo."

2 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff, Raub. This will be so incredibly helpful/inspiring to others -- especially other young people -- facing this scary disease/treatment. I'm impressed, but not surprised, about how well you understand the disease and treatment and are able to articulate it in your videos. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that you have a new normal now, and even after chemo you have to 'earn' your previous body back.
    Dịch vụ làm biển quảng cáo chuyên nghiệp | Thi công bien led gia re | Chuyên bán bếp từ cao cấp|bếp điện từ nhập khẩu

    ReplyDelete